Nulytely (or Equivalent) Bowel Prep
for Patients Scheduled before 12:00 p.m.
Evening Only Dose Prep
Several Days Before Your Colonoscopy
Get the prescription filled at the pharmacy. Read over the instructions below and call us with any questions
The Day Before Your Colonoscopy
- You may only have CLEAR LIQUIDS today such as water, apple juice, white grape juice, white cranberry juice, soda, lime or lemon Jell-O, bouillon, coffee or tea (you may have sugar but no milk) popsicles or flavor ices. Clear lemon or lime Gatorade is helpful in keeping your body fluids balanced during the bowel cleansing. NO SOLID FOODS, MILK, OR MILK PRODUCTS. AVOID RED OR PURPLE DYES.
- Between 4:00 pm and 6:00 pm: Mix the preparation according to the instructions on the bottle. Begin drinking the solution as instructed: 8 ounces every 10 to 15 minutes for about 3 hours. It is best to drink the glass rapidly and not sip. If you get nauseated or vomit, you may skip one session, but try to start up again before too much time has elapsed. It may be helpful to use a straw. It is important to attempt to take all of the preparation to assure a thorough bowel cleansing for a high quality exam. You will have liquid bowel movements throughout the evening.
- After finishing the prep, you may continue to drink clear liquids until midnight.
- YOU MUST STOP DRINKING ANYTHING BY MOUTH INCLUDING WATER AFTER MIDNIGHT. THIS INCLUDES HARD CANDY, BREATH MINTS, LOZENGES, CHEWING GUM AND SMOKING. YOUR PROCEDURE MAY BE DELAYED OR CANCELED IF THIS IS NOT FOLLOWED.
- The better these instructions are followed, the better the bowel prep works. The quality of the bowel prep dictates how well your physician is able to do your procedure and find and remove small lesions and polyps to prevent colon cancer. This is one of the most important ways to help you get a quality exam. You may also view this video regarding bowel preps.